Monday 9 January 2012

IVF injections and the Long and Short cycle

At our third meeting, I was given some details about some injections and an instruction injection DVD.


These are instructions with a DVD.

The DVD will explain more details.

I became nervous and exited more and more. It was like that before taking an important examination.
It had been decided to do a " Short cycle ICSI ( IVF ) " IVF has some kinds of cycle. I'll explain short cycles and long cycles briefly.
We use the same medicine for Short cycles and Long cycles.


On the Long cycle, we'll start to use injections one month before our period cycle before IVF will take place.
On the Long cycle, we have to take medicine for a long time but it said that we can make good quality eggs.

On the Short cycle, we'll start to use injections on the period cycle month that IVF takes place.
On the Short cycle, we have to take medicine only for a short time and can make many eggs more than with Long cycle, but it said that the quality of eggs is inferior to the Long cycle.

In general speaking, people aged under 37 years old and have good condition ovaries will do the Long cycle.
For those aged over 38 years old and have weaker ovaries will do Short cycle, because we have to take medicine for a long time on Long cycle, it sometime cause the ovaries to stop working all together. However it isn't only these reasons. These are just in general speaking. I was 36 years old at that time, and the doctors consider with my blood test results and some other factors the Short cycle is best.
There are some more types of  IVF, too.

The doctor started to explain about injections.
I had to do injections on my stomach by myself from the 2nd day of my period cycle. I practiced to do an injection with a fake stomach and then the doctor said, " Let's practice on your stomach. "
" Ha?! Now?! " I bent myself back with surprise.
However, I needed some practice indeed, but I was scared.
I turned over my clothes, held an empty injection and pierced it into my stomach. It didn't hurt. I felt easy a little.
The doctor gave me three kinds of injections all in a little cooler bag.

One set for 6 days and then another two different types of one set each.
The first 3 boxes are the injections and the last one on the right is the waste box. The one at the top are the alcohol swabs.


First, I'll start one set of injections for six days and on the 6th day, I have to start another injection as well.
Next day ( on the 7th day ) I have to go to the doctor for blood tests and a scan, then I can have more injections.
The other one set of injection is for 36 hours before taking my eggs. ( To induce ovulation )

" They all have to be kept in the fridge, not in the freezer. " the doctor said.